Finding extraordinary magic in ordinary life

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week #5



Foggy Morning In The Backyard



Last week I listened to Krista Tippett interview Stephen Batchelor regarding his work with Secular Buddhism. If you aren't familiar with Krista and her podcasts, I recommend that you check them out at On Being. During the course of the interview, Stephen Batchelor shared that one of the most profound practices he took away from the years he spent in Zen monasteries was this Tibetan death reflection.
Death is certain.
The time of death is uncertain.
What shall I do?

 When I first heard him say these words I thought to myself what a  morbid statement but in fact, over the past week, it has become just the opposite. Like a gentle prayer the words have drifted in and out of my thoughts. They've become a reminder that my time on this earth is limited. They have acted as a focal point, a check-in, to make sure that my actions align with what is most important to me. They have released a renewed commitment to be fully present in my daily interactions with my family, my co-workers, and strangers I pass on the street. Life in it's whole is more vibrant and alive. So I ask you - what shall you do?

Peace




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Beginner's Eye | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig