Finding extraordinary magic in ordinary life

Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Shift in Vision


I am currently reading "Eyes Of The Heart: Photography as a Christian Contemplative Practice" by Christine Valters Paintner. During my reading today I came across a quote that has helped me make a shift in my thinking about my contemplative photography practice. Here is what she says.

"When we approach photography as a contemplative practice, we engage consciously in this movement from opaqueness to transparency, from shadow to illuminated clarity. We move from the idea of images "taken" from the world as a property to be possessed to images received from the world as a gift of abundance and invitation. We move from looking at the world to see what we can gain to gazing on the world on the world to see what gifts we might receive. These are all essential aspects of the contemplative path and are cultivated by our shift in vision."

This "shift of vision" is the essential element in moving towards receiving images and seeing the ordinary as the extraordinary.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Beginner's Eye | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig